The Jr Celtics a new program for the NBS. The Jr Celtics is a dedicated to improving the youth basketball experience for kids and coaches throughout New England by promoting the values of Celtic basketball through on-court training and exclusive events in a safe and fun environment.
My children both have autism, motor planning concerns and socially don’t always understand the rules to the games. We were not sure if the Jr Celtics were for us. They do love to watch basketball with mom and dad. They can name all the players. They can call all the plays. They can even pretend to shoot the shots that Kyrie and Marcus Smart take.
As parents we were nervous to let them try this event. They have NEVER shot a basketball before. They never played on a team. Socially they are not always up to sharing with others. But their love of basketball we knew we had to try the Jr Celtics program in Boston.
Over 20 clinics will be offered in the program’s inaugural year, all of which will provide feature coaches, special guest VIP appearances and exclusive Jr. Celtics apparel. Clinics held at the Celtics’ Practice Facility in Waltham, or at TD Garden, will also feature exclusive access to team facilities. This part of of nation wide effort with the NBA.
Patrick was not afraid to try. I think his coach Alyson was KEY into welcoming him to the court.
She could tell right away he was so excited when he rattled off all the player names, numbers and stats.
John was not ready to take the court. They didn’t make a fuss they brought over his uniform and said. You are still part of the team they said and tried to work with him. It was just not for him he was perfectly happy being a spectator.
The Jr Celtics focused on the ability to try as hard as you can and sportsmanship. Not the big plays and how fast you play.
As the kid entered the court they were broken down into groups:
- Each team had their own coach and the kids will work with their assigned coach for the whole clinic.
- Each child got Jr Celtics t-shirt and shorts before they enter the court.
- The parents are guided to a designated section where they can watch the drills/exercises, take photos and cheer the kids on.
- There is a “warm up” before the drills start, so the kids will have a chance to stretch.
- There are four stations in which the kids will rotate through while they’re there.
- Each station teaches them different skills like ball handling, defense and shooting.
- A team photographer is out on the court taking photos of the children.
- Parents can take photos from their seat and check the email drop box after the clinic.
- The children may even get a chance to dunk with a former Boston Celtics players, they will meet Lucky the mascot!
The organization is also launching the Jr Celtics Kids Club this season, it is a membership based program that our little Jr Celtic is going to love a little welcome pack. They have possible chance to win in the monthly drawing.
The Jr Celtics events are amazing holiday gift your your little basketball lover.
For a family of two boys who have never played and have autism. This is a the perfectly all inclusive program. From prefect sportsmanship to fun skills every kid needs to learn and grow.
We give it a full 2 thumbs up.
For more information on the program, or to register for upcoming Jr. Celtics events, visit www.Celtics.com/jrceltics
I was asked to participate in the Jr. Celtics program in Boston. This was part of a compensated program. All my words and thoughts are my own.